owl and zend errors

At home I use OWL as as document management system. It works pretty well (although I would love the ability to copy stuff to it via CLI) and I found that there was a much newer version available. I normally don't freak out too much about the versions of that tool, since it's isolated inside the network, but I figured 4 versions was a good enough jump to warrant the upgrade.

The upgrade is pretty straight forward:

  1. unzip new version next to old
  2. edit the config.php file
  3. run the database upgrade (not needed in this case)

Everything worked pretty well, except that a couple of pages did not come up after the upgrade.

As always remembering the logs is where you can find troubles, was harder than finding the problem, which looking like this in the Apache logs:


[Thu Apr 02 21:06:37 2009] [notice] child pid 19484 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
zend_mm_heap corrupted
[Thu Apr 02 21:12:05 2009] [notice] child pid 20104 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Apr 02 21:12:27 2009] [notice] child pid 20406 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
zend_mm_heap corrupted
zend_mm_heap corrupted

So, I hit 'The Google' and looked for that zend_mm_heap corrupted rather than the generic Segmentation fault and found quite a few hits, but I had to do some digging before I found something useful.

I decided to isolate the fix by simply setting up a .htdocs file for the new version and adding the following into that file:


php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off

Once I did that OWL began working completely.

\@matthias