MythTV and the mystery of the ghost channel

Recently I upgrade my MythTV box only to be thwarted in any attempt to watch TV. Every attempt would just end up jumping right back out to the menu. I did a lot of looking through logs and restarting of stuff, but to no avail. The logs were cryptic and not very helpful.

The client only told me:

2008-04-21 19:05:34.689 TV: Attempting to change from None to WatchingLiveTV
2008-04-21 19:05:34.692 Using protocol version 40
2008-04-21 19:05:41.706 MythSocket(84de938:27): readStringList: Error, timeout (
2008-04-21 19:05:41.706 RemoteEncoder::SendReceiveStringList(): No response.
2008-04-21 19:05:41.713 GetEntryAt(-1) failed.
2008-04-21 19:05:41.719 EntryToProgram(0@Wed Dec 31 17:00:00 1969) failed to get
2008-04-21 19:05:41.719 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started

While the server attempted to placate me with:

2008-04-16 16:04:06.067 TVRec(1): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2008-04-16 16:04:06.136 TVRec(1): HW Tuner: 1->1
2008-04-16 16:04:10.181 ret_pid(6636) child(6636) status(0x0)
2008-04-16 16:04:10.183 External Tuning program exited with no error
2008-04-16 16:04:12.823 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 1.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
2008-04-16 16:04:12.836 MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Warning: Audio sample rate 32000 Hz
                        is not supported by ivtv driver, using 48000 Hz instead.
2008-04-16 16:04:39.062 GetChannelData() failed because it could not
                        find channel number 'NextChannel 0' in DB for source '2'.
2008-04-16 16:04:39.068 ChannelBase(1): IsTunable(S-Video 1,NextChannel 0) Failed to find channel in DB on input '6' 
2008-04-16 16:04:39.074 ChannelBase(1) Error: Setting start channel 'NextChannel 0' failed, 
                        and we failed to find any suitible channels on any input.
2008-04-16 16:04:40.132 ret_pid(6716) child(6716) status(0x0)

Some searching on the web showed others pasting similar errors in various places, but nothing that would get me back to watching TV.

I finally honed in the Failed to find channel in DB on input ‘6’ … somehow I after the upgrade I was tuned to a non-existing channel!

So I dropped out of the front-end, shut down the back-end and fired up mythtv-setup and drilled down to the default channel for my input source, where indeed some odd channel was listed. I set this to the first channel in my lineup, started the back-end and fired up the front-end … Voila!

Seems wrong for mythtv to just fail when trying to tune to a non-existing channel …


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *