So, my TV is an old PC running MythTV. I also plugged firefox into that so that I could watch the free Amazon Prime offering and I also had Hulu integrated. All was well, until Hulu broke after a recent upgrade.
Rather than getting to see hulu I got the following error instead:
(huludesktop:7222): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_new(): parent is destroyed (huludesktop:7222): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed (huludesktop:7222): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed (huludesktop:7222): Gdk-WARNING **: /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.c:952 drawable is not a pixmap or window (huludesktop:7222): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Turns out there are a lot of people who seem to be struggling with getting hulu to run on recent versions of Ubuntu.
From the looks of it flashplugin-installer version 11 is required by Hulu. The newest versions of Ubuntu come with version 11.2….
As it turns out that is what seems to be breaking hulu, but version 11.1 does work.
My first attempt was to grab an old DEB and force it to install. That failed, when there were complaints about unmet dependencies etc, since Firefox wants the 11.2 version.
The way I ended up solving my problem was to go to Adobe’s site and find an old 11.1 version of the flashplugin here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
. That failed since I use Chrome and instead of giving me download options I’m informed that I already have everything I need built into the browser. So, I went with trusty old elinks and managed to navigate to the archived versions on Adobe’s site. There I found a full archive of Flash Player 126.96.36.199 .
After downloading the file I unzipped it with
unzip fp_188.8.131.52_archive.zip cd fp_184.108.40.206_archive
There I found a tar.gz file for my 32bit box and extracted just the libflashplayer.so file from it, and moved it to a special folder:
tar zxvf flashplayer11_1r102_63_linux.i386.tar.gz libflashplayer.so cp libflashplayer.so /home/mythtv/libflashplayer-11_1r102_63_32bit.so
then I just pointed Hulu at that new file by editing the ~/.huludesktop file to feature:
[flash] flash_location = /home/mythtv/libflashplayer-11_1r102_63_32bit.so
After that Hulu started working again.
I hope this helps others as well.